EP10. Gene Gurkoff: Charity Miles and Running a Top App
“I would have quit a thousand times already if it wasn’t for our community…I will run through walls for these people. They inspire me so much.”
– Gene Gurkoff
On this episode of “The Shine Strategy,” you’ll meet Gene Gurkoff, founder of Charity Miles, a top iPhone/Android App that enables people to earn money for charity when they run, walk or bike. Charity Miles’ impressive model has earned nearly $3M for some of the world’s most renowned charities. Gene himself has run over 40 marathons and done six triathlons to raise money for Parkinson’s research in honor of his grandfather. It’s an honor to be able to bring awareness to Charity Miles and Gene’s life-changing work.
His down-to-earth nature combined with his finance background and big heart have been major contributing factors to his success. Additionally, the passion that Charity Miles members have for the app is incredible. You won’t want to miss Gene’s stories of the lengths people have gone to raise money for their favorite non-profit organizations. Download Charity Miles on your phone and also listen to his podcast, “The Extra Mile,” while you take a walk or run for charity!
TUNE-IN TO HEAR:
- The challenges Gene faced in figuring out a business model that could allocate all of the money being earned for his participating charities.
- How Gene and his team are working towards expanding the app and making it easier for members to raise UNLIMITED amounts of money for their chosen charities.
- Gene’s PR strategies and how he might bump Charity Miles to the next level.
- Some jaw-dropping things that Charity Miles members have done to raise money for their chosen organizations.
- The things that fire Gene up about running Charity Miles.
- About Gene’s podcast, “The Extra Mile,” who he features, and why they are going “the extra mile” for health and philanthropy.
- About Jesse Itzler on “The Extra Mile.”
- What it was like to worth with Team Fox for the Michael J. Fox Foundation.
- What keeps Gene going while facing constant challenges.