18. Alise Morales: Co-hosting "Betches Sup" & Making the News Less Terrible thru Comedy
“I just like making people laugh..I feel like in a small way I’m contributing to something good if I’m genuinely making people laugh.”
– Alise Morales
On this episode of “The Shine Strategy,” I’m so excited to welcome comedy writer and performer, the hilarious Alise Morales, who is a co-host of the “Betches Sup” podcast and writer of the show’s daily newsletter. She has appeared in Hulu’s “Difficult People,” “Late Night with Seth Meyers” and “Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.” You can also catch her voicing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Showtime’s “Our Cartoon President.”
I’m a huge fan of hers and love her brilliant ability to blend comedy and the news in a way that is entertaining without undercutting the severity of the topics. Her approach, distinct comedic voice and clear passion for journalism are incredibly refreshing; this allows audiences to stay informed and hear about complex issues in a less terrible way than most other news sources.
Alise is hilarious but also very serious about her work. Her original show, “The Roast of Your 15 Year Old Self,” has toured across the country and was featured in the New York Comedy Festival. She has worked extremely hard to get to where she is and continues to work tirelessly to make sure her audiences can and want to stay informed.
You’ll want to hear her great tips on staying involved in your community, how to follow your dreams, and the importance of building the right relationships.
“That is one of our missions: to ruin your day slightly less.”
TUNE-IN TO HEAR:
- Her journey into comedy writing and her blueprint for success in the comedy world.
- How she went from being a theater kid to making television appearances, and the behind-the-scenes realities of pursuing a comedy career.
- Alise’s biggest inspirations—from SNL’s Weekend Update to Samantha Bee to “Pod Save America” and how they continue to influence her work.
- How she came to write for the Betches Sup newsletter and her writing process.
- The everyday things people can do to make big changes in their communities.